WORK CENTER METHODS
The program concept envisages the following groups of activities:
- user selection,
- implementation of the so-called diagnostic week,
- implementation of work diagnostics programs for determining the remaining working abilities, knowledge, skills and habits of persons with disabilities acquired in previous education or training for independent living and work,
- creating perspectives,
- conducting programs and work training for maintaining and improving work skills, and acquiring new knowledge, skills and habits of various occupations and jobs (assistant tailor, assistant leather haberdasher, assistant bookbinder, assistant locksmith, assistant shoemaker and most recently - assistant chef),
- implementation for the program of social - communication activities within the extended rehabilitation of users,
- monitoring users with an assessment of the degree of employability for persons with disabilities,
- job training of users,
- mediation in employment and providing support in the transition of a person with a disability from the work center to a sheltered workshop or to the open labor market (with job coaching and, if necessary, assisted employment).
The work is performed by an interdisciplinary and interinstitutional team of experts: instructors for various occupations, special educators, social worker, psychologist, technologist and CES expert employment counselors.
Different forms and approaches are used in the work, such as:
- Pindividual work with users (acquisition of knowledge, skills and habits, observation, behavior corrections, interviews),
- group work - workshops of social - communication skills (so-called soft skills),
- team sessions (at the end of each month, more often if necessary),
- work with user families,
- on-the-job training of users,
- contacts with employers by the CES and representatives of the RC team (after the first assessments of the employability of the beneficiaries)
The duration of RC activities for one user is currently 6 months. Given the structure and severity of their disability, it would be objectively necessary to provide work - social training for a period of 12 months while ensuring the possibility of an exceptional extension of a further 6 months.
During the work and stay of the user in the Work center, difficulties were noticed which, if not acted upon in an appropriate way, can have an additional negative effect on the employability of the user, such as:
- poor motivation,
- low level of self-confidence,
- insufficient level of social support for a person with a disability,
- emotional upgrade of subsequently acquired disability:
That is why psycho - social support programs are implemented in parallel through work - social - communication trainings with the aim of insight into personal problems, gaining and strengthening self - confidence, organizing personal value system, using existing work potentials, strengthening motivation and social inclusion in everyday life.
Work - social - communication trainings include:
- participation in workshops "Life skills training" - communication, decision making, problem solving, creativity and critical thinking, recognizing and expressing emotions, self-awareness, self-esteem, empathy,
- going to various events, theater, cinema, sightseeing, visits to associations for people with disabilities, watching educational and entertainment activities,
- work in creative workshops, artistic expression, listening to music, musical expression, encouraging sports, participation in various sports activities